A best folding exercise bike will allow you to conveniently work out at home, whenever you have the time while also letting you easily store the exercise bike in a closet or in the corner of the room when you aren’t using it.
That way, you don’t have a giant machine taking up a bunch of space in your home at all times. It’s there when you need it and it’s out of the way when you don’t. Plus, some folding exercise bikes come with plenty of extra cool features that you can find in other stationary bikes.
But shopping for a folding exercise bike can get overwhelming once you realize there are just so many different options out there. This short guide will give you a few tips on how to sift through all those options and then give you are suggestions for the top 3 best folding exercise bikes.
Tips For Shopping For A Folding Exercise Bike
Here are a few tips to help you as you are shopping:
- Define your priorities: some just want something small and basic that easily folds up and fits in a closet. Others want that folding functionality to come with other advantages like Bluetooth capability, lots of data tracking, and more. Furthermore, many folding exercise bikes tend to be on the simpler side when it comes to extra features (but there are some high-tech options). Decide exactly what sort of features and functions you are looking for so you can be sure you don’t end up buying something that’s either too basic or too complicated.
- Know your budget: there are folding exercise bikes in every price range. At the lower end, you can find one for little more than $100 and at the higher end, you can pay a thousand or more. While many tend to be on the more basic side, meaning they are usually at the lower end of this price spectrum, you still need to look for quality and make sure you getting the features you want. Set a price range of what you are willing to spend and look for products in that price range that meet your priorities.
- Read reviews: reviews are one of the best ways to find out how a product actually holds up in real life. An exercise bike’s advertisement will give you a general understanding of what the product is offering but whether or not it actually lives up to its promise is a different story. And no advertisement is going to tell you “our product doesn’t work.” You can check out our reviews as well as folding exercise bike reviews from other reliable sites to get a better sense of whether or not the exercise bike you are considering buying is really worth the investment.
With these tips in mind, check out these reviews for 3 of our top choices when it comes to searching for the best folding exercise bike.
Best Choice Products Folding Upright Exercise Bike
This folding exercise bike has been named well as it is definitely one of the best choices out there. Some of our favorite aspects of this exercise bike include:
- Low price: this is the perfect option for the budget conscious buyer. At just over a hundred dollars, you’ll have a hard time finding such a sturdy and durable construction for such a low price.
- Tracks the essentials: the easy to read but still compact display screen lets you track your distance, time, speed, and calories burned so that you can monitor your progress throughout the workout and compare your performance between workout sessions.
- Magnetic resistance flywheel: there are two reasons we love magnetic resistance flywheels. For one, they allow for smooth transitions between the 8 different resistance levels. Secondly, it spins so smoothly that you get a much quieter machine when you work out. This is extremely great, especially for home use.
- Adjustable positions: you can adjust this into 3 different positions which allow for different kinds of exercise. Get a more reclined, recumbent position for the lowest impact workout or opt for an upright for a more challenging (but still relatively low impact) workout.
- Pulse sensors: you can track your heart rate and make sure you are staying in your target heart rate zone throughout the workout.
- Seat handles: if you don’t want to lean forward to reach the main handles, there are also handles that come out of the seat. This allows you to do a reclined exercise that is still quite vigorous without losing your balance.
We would recommend getting a cushioned seat cover for the seat if you’re planning to use it for longer than 20 minutes at a time as it isn’t particularly comfortable for long-term usage. It also doesn’t have any particularly exciting high-tech features so if you’re looking for something more high end, you’ll definitely want to look for a different product.
Fitleader Indoor Exercise Folding Stationary Upright Bike
This is another affordable folding exercise bike that boasts a sleek, durable heavy duty steel frame construction. It can hold up to 240 lbs. Other perks of this model include:
- The seat has a range of 4 inches so you can adjust it from as low as 30 inches to as high as 34 inches. There are also 8 levels of resistance so that you can customize your workout to your fitness level or choose between an easy to moderate workout or a more rigorous challenging workout.
- The seat is large and well cushioned so that you can stay comfortable even for longer workouts.
- Easy construction. Most bikes are so difficult to put together that you have no choice but to pay the extra fee to have a professional come and do it for you. However, this bike comes with clear, easy to read instructions and the hardware and tools are easy to manage. You can definitely put this folding exercise bike together yourself in under an hour.
- This bike is much quieter than most so you can easily watch TV or listen to music while you pedal without being disturbed.
One minor inconvenience is the calorie counter. It doesn’t adjust itself based on the resistance level you are using, meaning it will give you the same calorie estimate for level 1 as it will for level 8.
However, with that said, the majority of calorie counters are just rough estimates anyway as every individual response to every activity differently so you would need tech more advanced than any bike has to get the precise number of calories burned.
Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
This is a wonderful recumbent exercise bike that can be easily folded up and put away whenever you aren’t using it. In addition to that, it also boasts:
- Heavy duty construction: this is very durably built and made from strong, long lasting materials. As a result, it can hold up to 300 pounds, which is ideal for a heavier set person as many bikes out there tend to max out around 240 or 250.
- Easy entry and exit: the recumbent design along with the fact that the handlebars are placed at seat level rather than raised above it makes it easy to get in out of the seat without difficulty.
- The seat: is well cushioned and the back is perfectly designed to provide a comfortable seating position for you while you work out.
- LCD display: the easy to read display tells you your time, distance, speed, calories burned, and heart rate so you have all the essential information you need to know how your workout is going. Moreover, it’s located down by the pedals so that it’s out of the way if you prefer not to see that data until the end. You can easily watch TV without being distracted by the display.
- Magnetic tension control system: the flywheel uses magnetic tension which means transitioning between the 8 resistance levels is smoother and the whole movement is much quieter.
One word of caution: if you are above 6 feet tall, this bike might be a little too small for you. But this is a concern for tall people when ordering any exercise bike.
All 3 of the options here are sold at very affordable prices so if you are choosing from these, focus more on the perks and features that are a priority you since the price is about the same in each case. Consider your height and weight when choosing a product to make sure it will support and fit you comfortably.