Recumbent exercise bikes are perfect for those who need to get more active but also need a lower impact workout. And when it also can be folded up, it’s easy to store it when you’re not using it.
So the folding recumbent exercise bike is the perfect solution for the hard-working individual with limited storage space in their home. You get the best of both worlds with this kind of exercise bike.
But shopping for a folding recumbent exercise bike can get overwhelming once you realize there are just so many different options out there. This short guide will give you a few tips on how to sift through all those options and then give you are suggestions for the top 3 best folding recumbent exercise bikes.
Tips For Shopping For A Folding Recumbent Exercise Bike
We bring few tips to help you as you are shopping for the best folding recumbent exercise bike.
Define Your Priorities
With so many different choices, it can be overwhelming when you aren’t sure what you need. So before you spend a dime, take a look at what kind of features are available and then consider what kinds of priorities you have. Are your driven and looking for something that will motivate you and help you monitor your progress closely?
Or are you looking more for something that will help you get a little more exercise in your life to keep you healthy and maintain your current weight? Decide exactly what sort of features and functions you are looking for so you can be sure you don’t end up buying something that’s either too basic or too complicated.
Know Your Budget
There are folding recumbent exercise bikes in every price range. And while you certainly don’t have to buy the most expensive one, you want to be careful when you are looking at the more budget friendly models.
There are certainly some rare gems out there that are both high quality and low price but they are hard to find, and you want to make sure you do thorough research before you buy. Set a price range of what you are willing to spend and look for products in that price range that meet your priorities.
Before you spend a dime, it’s important to do your research and find out the real facts about the product you are considering buying. Reviews are a great way to get those real facts from real people and reliable sources.
The best way to do your research is to find a folding recumbent exercise bike that you think could suit your needs and then search for reviews about that particular model. You can check out our reviews as well as folding recumbent exercise bike reviews from other reliable sites to get a better sense of whether or not the exercise bike you are considering buying is worth the investment.
With these tips in mind, check out these reviews for 3 of our top choices when it comes to searching for the best folding recumbent exercise bike.
Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
This is one of our favorite folding recumbent bikes for those in search of a compact, minimalist design that packs a punch. In addition to the easy folding action which makes it a breeze to store out of the way when you’re done working up a sweat, this model also boasts:
- Magnetic tension flywheel: the flywheel uses magnetic tension technology which has two significant advantages. First, it means that transitioning between the eight different resistance levels available is smooth and easy, no sudden jerky changes! Secondly, it means that no matter how hard you are pedaling, the flywheel is going to be silent, so you don’t have to deal with an annoying whining sound as you do with other kinds of flywheels.
- The recumbent seat: it is both well cushioned and well designed so that you can sit comfortably even during longer workouts.
- Heavy duty frame: the construction of this exercise bike is super durable and made from strong steel. It can withstand up to 300 pounds, which is more than the majority of exercise bikes out there.
- Easy to read display: the LCD display shows the critical data that you need to understand how your workout is going and what your results are. So you can see your speed, time, distance, calories burned and, very importantly, your heart rate. With your heart rate, you can regularly make sure you are staying within your target heart rate zone.
While this is a great machine for heavier set people, it can be a little uncomfortable for those who are 6 feet and over. You may not be able to extend your legs all the way while pedaling. However, this problem can be solved by placing an extra cushion or foam block on the seat to make it a little taller.
FitDesk v2.0 Desk Exercise Bike
This is the dream desk for the busy individual who needs versatility and functionality. It can be both an upright and a recumbent exercise bike. And it can also fold up to be stored easily. Beyond that, it also includes these other excellent features:
- A desk: the top of this desk is non-slip, so you don’t have to worry about your laptop sliding around or falling off. It also has easy to open drawers where you can store important papers or anything else you might need, on your desk. And, for added comfort, there is a massage roller to provide extra support for your wrists as you work. This means that no matter how busy you are, you can squeeze an invigorating workout in because you can do it while working!
- Display: it’s not just a great desk that makes this exercise bike stand out. It also tracks and displays your vital data like time, distance, and calories burned. So you can monitor your workout at the same time that you get your work done.
This exercise bike is intended for the busy individual who can’t pull themselves away from their hectic schedule long enough to get a workout in. If you’re someone who wants a machine that provides thoroughly detailed workout data or has features that help motivate you to workout harder and progress faster, this won’t do it.
But you can still get a real and intense workout on this bike. You just need to put the laptop way and get pedaling!
Best Choice Products Folding Recumbent Exercise Bike
This folding exercise bike is a great option for someone who wants a high quality, affordable, but not overly high tech and fancy exercise bike that is convenient and efficient. Of course, it’s foldable, and it folds up to a surprisingly small size so that you can easily store it just about anywhere.
Some of our favorite features of this folding recumbent bike include:
- All the essentials: this may not have any crazy space age tech that will impress your friends, but it has absolutely everything you need to get in shape and stay healthy. The compact and easy to read display tells you your speed, time, distance, and calories burned.
- Heart rate tracking: in addition to those essential details, this exercise bike also has pulse sensors so that you can keep track of your heart rate as well. This is important because it allows you to stay in your target heart rate zone (where you’ll burn the maximum amount of calories while still keeping your risk of injury low).
- Magnetic tension flywheel: we highly recommend making magnetic tension flywheels a priority in your search for an exercise bike. They make the transition between resistance levels smooth and natural while also keeping the wheel as quiet as possible, no matter how hard you are pedaling.
- The seat: on this bike can be adjusted so that you can be in a recumbent position, upright position, or a more powerful spinning position. So you can get a workout exactly as intense (or not extreme) as you want it.
The only drawback is that the seat is not made with as much cushioning as it could be. If you’re just doing a quick 15 or 20-minute workout, it will be fine. But once you get up into the 45 to 60-minute sessions, you may find it uncomfortable. We recommend getting an extra cushion or a seat cover to make it more comfortable.
Many of these options are super versatile. But if versatility is your top priority, we would recommend the Best Choice option. If the ability to multi-task is a better option as it allows you to work, read, watch TV, or do some other things while you’re working out. And if simplicity and compactness are your primary concern, the Exerpeutic would be a great option.