A stationary bike is a perfect option whether you’re a cycler looking for an indoor alternative when the weather isn’t suited to an outdoor ride or someone looking for a way to get more exercise in your life without the stress of going to the gym or finding a safe route to do your cardio outdoors.
With a stationary exercise bike, you can get a fantastic workout anytime, anywhere, and at any intensity level. It’s also a lower impact than most other cardio options so if you have joint problems; this is a perfect choice for you.
But shopping for a stationary exercise bike can get overwhelming once you realize there are just so many different options out there. This short guide will give you a few tips on how to sift through all those options and then give you are suggestions for the top 3 best stationary exercise bikes.
Tips For Shopping For A Stationary Exercise Bike
Here are a few tips to help you as you are shopping:
- Define your priorities: stationary exercise bikes come in a staggeringly wide variety. So before you just start sifting through every single option out there, it would be a good idea to take a few moments to think about what you want and need in your stationary exercise bike.
- Extra features: there are so many different features, so you have a broad range of the bare essentials all the way to cutting edge, high tech functionality. That means you should decide exactly what sort of features and functions you are looking for so you can be sure you don’t end up buying something that’s either too basic or too complicated.
- Know your budget: as you will see from the choices below, stationary bikes sell at a wide variety of different price points. You can get your super basic exercise bike for a hundred or less, or you could go for a top of the line option coming in at nearly two thousand. We don’t recommend just automatically choosing either the most affordable or the most expensive as price doesn’t always reflect the actual value of the bike.
- Satisfy your needs: set yourself a budget range that reflects the minimum and maximum that you will spend. And then shop around for stationary exercise bikes that fit within that range. But don’t just pick the first one you find. Make sure it meets your needs.
- Read reviews: even after you have found a stationary exercise bike that you think will be perfect, you still need to do more research. Check for as many reviews on that particular model as you can. Find out what real people have to say about it, not just the advertisements. And more than real customers, you should also turn to reliable sources to get some expert opinions.
You can check out our reviews as well as stationary exercise bike reviews from other reputable sites to get a better sense of whether or not the stationary exercise bike you are considering buying is worth the investment.
Our Top Recommendation
With these tips in mind, check out these reviews for 3 of our top choices when it comes to searching for the best stationary exercise bike.
Body Rider Fan Bike
There are so many great things to love about this stationary exercise bike from the price to the functionality and quality. Here are just a few of our favorite things about the Body Rider Fan Bike:
- Moving handlebars. In addition to a lower body workout, the moving handlebars allow for a gentle, low impact upper body workout as well. Coordinate your movements for better balance, more calories burned, and a more overall, whole body workout!
- The pedals connect to a fan so that when you pedal, the fan blades spin. This provides a gentle breeze that is unbelievably refreshing while you’re working up a sweat on the stationary exercise bike.
- Durable frame. The frame is an excellent construction and built with heavy duty steel so that you can push as hard as you can without worrying about the machine breaking down.
- This is one of the best priced stationary exercise bikes on the market, especially when you consider the quality and functionality.
If you are a first-time buyer, this is one of our top recommendations. It’s got everything the beginner needs. However, a more advanced user might find the limited number of resistance levels and adjustability a bit of a turn-off. So opt for a more advanced model if you want something that will push you harder.
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B1110 Indoor Cycling Bike
This is another great option for working up a sweat and watching those extra pounds melt away. Sunny Health & Fitness puts out a lot of high-quality exercise bikes, but this is one of our favorite stationary exercise bike models.
That’s because of:
- While the price is not as low as the Body Rider Fan Bike described above, it’s still very reasonably priced.
- Not only the seat but also the handlebars are adjustable. This is super important as the default handlebar position isn’t always ideal for every user. So you can move the handlebars and seats into exactly the perfect place for you so that your workout is as comfortable as it is intense.
- Easy to assemble. You can save a nice chunk of cash by putting this bike together on your own. And unlike most stationary exercise bikes, this one is super easy to assemble. It comes with all the parts you need and instructions that are clear and easy to understand.
- Free water bottle. This isn’t totally essential as getting a water bottle is cheap and easy to do (not to mention you may even already have one), but it’s a nice perk. Who doesn’t like getting free stuff?
The one thing we aren’t entirely happy with is the chain drive flywheel. It will work fine, but this tends to get loud, especially during intense workout sessions. We recommend putting in some headphones and listening to your favorite tunes while you work out on this bike.
Keiser M3 Indoor Stationary Exercise Bike
Keiser is well known for its line of very high-end exercise bikes. They are experts in their field, and you can see it in the products they put out. Here are a few of our favorite things about this particular model:
- Sleek, sturdy design. The frame is well built and made from heavy duty material. But they don’t make any sacrifices for aesthetics to achieve that quality. This frame is beautifully sleek and minimal despite packing a lot of amazing features. You will love the way it looks.
- Magnetic resistance flywheel. This is far and away the best design for a flywheel. It’s super quiet and provides a smooth ride the whole way. You can transition smoothly between resistance levels and pedal as hard as you want without experiencing the rattle or noise that you would with a chain driven flywheel.
- Computer display. The display of equipment included on this bike tracks all the work out details you could possible need. And it can sync wirelessly with other devices (like a wireless Polar heart rate monitor) so that you are getting the most accurate and up to date data about your workout as possible.
The only drawback is the price. At just under two thousand, that can be a huge drawback for many. But if you want a professional grade workout and you know that you will be using this for the long run, it is well worth every penny. It functions so beautifully and requires so little maintenance since it is built so well. So if you can afford it, we recommend it.
There are bikes at nearly every price point on this list, so your budget is going to play a role in the decision. However, you should focus on looking for the features and functionality that you are prioritizing above all. Be willing to spend a little more to get something that you are going to use.
If you just go for the cheapest one because it’s cheapest, it’s a waste of money anyway because you are getting something that you may not enjoy and may not have any motivation to use. It’ll just end up collecting dust in a corner. So it’d be better to splurge a little if it means you’ll get your money’s worth in usage.