Upright exercise bikes provide an amazing low impact workout that’s perfect for people of all fitness levels. The design of the upright exercise bike is also very beneficial for your posture. It builds muscle in your back and keeps you in a position where your back is naturally straight.
There are many different kinds of upright exercise bikes, so you are sure to find something that meets your needs perfectly. Whether you’re looking for something super budget friendly or something with all the newest tech, you’ll be able to find the perfect fit with enough research.
But shopping for an upright exercise bike can get overwhelming once you realize there are just so many different options out there. This short guide will give you a few tips on how to sift through all those options and then give you are suggestions for the top 3 best upright exercise bikes.
Tips For Shopping For An Upright Exercise Bike
Here are a few tips to help you as you are shopping:
- Define your priorities: Upright exercise bikes are suited for just about every purpose. If you want a more easy going workout, you can do it with this. If you want a high-intensity workout, you can do it with this. Its versatility makes it an especially great option for those who want a combination of different workout intensities. Take a look at what kind of features are available and consider which ones you think you’ll benefit from. That means you should decide exactly what sort of features and functions you are looking for so you can be sure you don’t end up buying something that’s either too basic or too complicated.
- Know your budget: Upright exercise bikes can be found for less than a hundred dollars and as much as two thousand. And you certainly don’t need the most expensive one out there if it’s just for your personal use. However, you do get what you pay for so just choosing the cheapest one because it’s cheapest isn’t always the best option either. So you still need to look for quality and make sure you getting the features you want. Set a price range of what you are willing to spend and look for products in that price range that meet your priorities.
- Read reviews: many people, both advanced athletes, and casual exercisers use upright exercise bikes so you can check reviews from professionals on reliable websites like ours and look for reviews from people who have similar priorities and goals as you to see what the most recommended models are. This is an excellent way to sift through the cheap stuff that isn’t worth the price and narrow in on the complete perfect upright exercise bike for you. You can check out our reviews as well as upright exercise bike reviews from other reliable sites to get a better sense of whether or not the upright exercise bike you are considering buying is worth the investment.
Our Top Recommendation
With these tips in mind, check out these reviews for 3 of our top choices when it comes to searching for the best upright exercise bike.
FitDesk v2.0 Desk Exercise Bike
This is not only a durable and high-quality upright exercise bike, but it’s also got a unique design. What makes it stand out from its competitors are:
- The nonslip desk that’s perfect for a laptop.
- The easy to open drawers where you can store small items.
- Massage rollers perfectly positioned to provide maximum comfort and support for your wrists as you type.
Basically, with all these combined, it’s the perfect workstation that allows you to stay fit and healthy without taking time away from work. With this bike, you have no excuse not to get your daily exercise requirements met!
Beyond these unique features, the FitDesk also offers:
- Seat adjustability that not only changes height but allows you to switch from an upright to a semi-recumbent position meaning you are getting two bikes in one with this machine: an upright exercise bike and a recumbent exercise bike.
- Tracking of essential data like distance, time, and calories burned.
- Foldability so that you can store it easily when not in use.
The only drawback that you might find is that it’s not purely dedicated to fitness. That is to say, if you want something that motivates and drives you to push your limits and do better, this one doesn’t provide many features that do that.
It’s intended more for the busy individual who struggles to find time to fit in any exercise at all. This allows you to get moderate levels of exercise throughout the day. But if you want an intense workout, get rid of the laptop and focus on breaking a sweat!
Velocity Exercise Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike
For those who want a dedicated, reliable upright exercise bike, you want the Velocity Exercise magnetic upright exercise bike. It’s built with functionality and durability in mind and nothing else.
The compact, minimalist design is perfect if you don’t want a big bulky machine taking up a bunch of space. But being compact doesn’t take away from the great functionality. You’ll get:
- An excellent ergonomic design for the pedals which even come with adjustable straps to prevent slippage.
- LCD computer display which tracks your speed, distance, time, calories burned, and heart rate.
- The magnetic resistance which allows for manually adjustable resistance levels and a silent flywheel when you’re pedaling.
Overall, it’s a great basic upright exercise that is sturdy and built to last. However, for those who are looking for fancy high-tech features, you won’t find them here. It’s got the essentials and nothing else.
If you’re a multitasker who wants to read or get work done while you exercise, this bike will not meet your expectations, but if you just need something that will get you moving and burning calories, it will be perfect.
Fitleader FS1 Stationary Exercise Bike
The Fitleader has a great design that allows for a more intense workout because the handlebars are in a place where you have to get down into a more natural biking position. But if you want a more casual workout, you can skip holding the handlebars and just pedal, hands-free.
The handlebars also have pulse monitors to help you keep track of your heart rate and make sure you are staying in the target heart rate zone. And we love the placement of the water bottle holder. It’s ideally located for easy access in the middle of your workout, and it’s large enough to fit most bottle sizes.
It has a small shelf that could easily fit a tablet or e-reader. But it’s not a proper desk, so if you like the idea of working or using your laptop while exercising, this option is not for you.
One other possible drawback is that the seat adjustability is pretty limited. It’s better suited to people under 6 feet, so if you are a relatively tall person, you might get frustrated by the inability to extend your legs all the way while pedaling.
For the multitasker who struggles with working out because their mind wanders elsewhere, the FitDesk is probably the best option since you can respond to emails and get work done while you exercise.
The Velocity bike can also be a great option for the wandering mind because the small display stays out of the way so that you could easily watch TV while you pedal. However, if you prefer the idea of working while you work out, the lack of any desk area would be a major inconvenience here.
With the small shelf that’s perfect for a tablet or e-reader and the conveniently placed water bottle holder, the Fitleader is probably the best option for someone who enjoys reading while working out but also wants a more intense workout at the same time.
All of the options here are sold at very affordable prices, so they will fit most budgets. When you are selecting the perfect upright exercise bike, make sure to check the features it comes with. If it’s missing a feature you want, that will get frustrating. But also having extra gadgets and add-ons that you don’t want can be frustrating as well so you need something that matches your needs as closely as possible.