Technically speaking, a folding exercise bike is not exactly a “type” of an exercise bike. Instead, it is a particular feature that many different types of exercise bikes can have.
For instance, upright, recumbent, and indoor cycling bikes can all be folding. As its name suggests, a folding exercise bike is simply a variation on one of these bikes that features the added functionality of a folding frame.
Folding Exercise Bike Pros
The advantages of folding exercise bikes are numerous. They include:
- Stowable – The biggest benefit of folding exercise bikes is that they can fold down for easy storage. They are the easiest to store of all exercise bikes.
- Convenient – All you have to do is take your bike out of storage, fold it down, and ride.
- Lots of Options – Folding Exercise bikes come in all shapes, sizes, and forms. There is a little something for everyone.
- Great Workout – All exercise bikes provide a killer workout. It’s a unique form of cardio and lower body strength training.
- For All Budgets – There is a folding exercise bike that fits every budget. They’re available from as little as $100 all the way up to $1,000 and well beyond.
Folding Exercise Bike Cons
Folding exercise bikes have very few disadvantages. Those that they do have include:
- Unsteady – Because folding exercise bikes come in all forms, their only real problem is that they can be unsteady. This is particularly the case of budget models. While handy, the folding mechanism sometimes means that the bikes are prone to wobbling.
Folding Exercise Bike Uses
Best folding exercise bikes are utilized in the same ways that other exercise bikes are – with the added benefit that they are easily stored after use. These standard methods include weight loss, injury recovery, and training.
Weight loss is all about burning calories, and that is exactly what a folding exercise bike helps you do. Hop on and pedal. That’s all there is to it. Because they are such a low-impact exercise tool, folding exercise bikes are also great for those that need to regain strength, endurance, mobility, and flexibility after injury. They are a low-risk way to get back into shape.
Folding exercise bikes are also used for those training for athletic events for the same reasons. They are a particularly popular choice for avid outdoor cyclists that require an efficient way to train in the offseason.
How To Buy A Folding Exercise Bike
You should go about the purchase of a folding recumbent exercise bike in the same way you would go about buying any exercise bike. In short, set a budget, consider the options, take your time, and read reviews.
Online reviews of exercise bikes are one of the best ways to narrow down the options to a select few models. Even if you’re buying your bike online, it can be a smart idea to visit your local fitness store to try the models that most interest you in person.
Folding exercise bikes are great. They are an awesome way to get into the best shape of your life. They are a particularly good choice for those with small living quarters that need to stow their bike after each use.