Spinning bikes have been around for a while, but the technology behind them is improving all the time. Getting an indoor spinning bike for your home is an excellent way to make sure you are working out on a regular basis.
They’re affordable, convenient, and easy to use. Keep reading to learn more about spinning bikes for home, spinning workouts, and get our recommendations for the best spin bike for home.
Explaining The Enduring Popularity Of The Stationary Spin Bike
Let’s face it, we all have a bad habit of making excuses about why we can’t do our regular workout. Unless you are an athlete with a passion for physical exercise, there are times when getting up and getting out of the door to workout can seem like an impossible chore.
When you have the option of indoor cycling at home, you have no excuses. Stationary spinning bikes have been popular for decades, and it’s easy to see why. By having a spin bike at home, you are no longer a victim of the weather. If it’s too hot out, turn on the A/C and start pedaling. If it’s too cold, turn up the heater and start pedaling!
It’s also super easy to modify your workout to your needs. If you’ve only got time for a quick 10 or 15 minutes, it can seem like a waste to go all the way to the gym. But if you’ve got a bike at home, you can squeeze in those few minutes of exercise without a problem.
There are stationary exercise bikes at every price point so no matter what you are looking for, you can find it.
So, in the end, spinning bikes are popular because they are so versatile and convenient for every kind of need—whether it’s losing weight, staying in shape, or decreasing stress. Once you have tried one, you’ll have no trouble figuring out why they have stayed so popular for years and will continue to be popular for many years to come.
The Many Benefits Of The Spinning Exercise Bike
To understand their popularity, you just have to experience some of their many advantages:
- Lose fat: just 45 minutes of spinning can burn as much as 500 calories! The higher the intensity, the more calories you burn in the same amount of time so push yourself and watch the pounds melt away!
- Build muscle: while it won’t do much for your arms, a spin workout will help bring tone and definition to your legs, butt, and abs. Where once there was flab, now there will be beautifully sculpted muscle.
- Better heart health: cardio exercise strengthens your heart, improves circulation, decreases blood pressure, reduces cholesterol, and lots of other great things for your overall health. It’s a great and convenient way to keep your body healthy and happy.
- Low impact: for those who want a good, intense workout but suffer from joint pain or other problems that make many exercises painful, the spin bike is the perfect answer to your prayers. Since you are seated, it doesn’t place any added pressure on your knees and other joints like running or aerobics would. This makes it ideal for those with arthritis.
- Decrease stress: regular cardio exercise helps lower blood pressure, release endorphins in the brain, and reduce cortisol levels. Regular exercise also helps you fall asleep more quickly and remain in a deep, restorative sleep throughout the night so that you wake up feeling refreshed. All of these will lead to feeling less stressed out. Not only will you feel better throughout the week, but you’ll also feel more healthy and accomplished. For the best benefits to sleep, we recommend doing your spin workout about 3-4 hours before you plan to go to sleep.
- Convenience: rain or shine, you can always exercise indoors. You are no longer forced to be at the mercy of the weather. This is especially good news in the winter when the thought of exercising in the cold fills you with dread. It’s also convenient in that you can work out any time at all.
- Track your progress: there’s something incredibly motivating about watching the calorie count steadily climb and being able to track how you are improving over time. The day you finally beat your best time or your furthest distance will be a proud day, and you can continue beating your own personal best, feeling prouder and prouder each time.
Most spin classes at the gym are about 45 minutes to an hour, and you have to factor in at least another hour for getting there and back, showering, changing, and so on. If you’ve got a bike at home, you can do 15 minutes in the morning and another 15 or 30 minutes in the evening when you get back for work without adding in more time for traveling back and forth. Make your spin workout fit with your schedule!
There are so many incredible benefits to using a spin bike, and the best part is, you get these benefits whether you buy one for your home or opt for a class at a gym. You can even do a combination of both if you want some variation in your routine.
How To Complete A Spin Bike Workout
You have two basic options. You can sign up for a spin class at a gym where you get the benefit of a highly motivating trainer and a fixed schedule where you have to go and workout. But these can be expensive and don’t always fit with everyone’s schedule.
Your second option is to get a spin bike for your home and work out when it suits your schedule best. For beginners, we recommend spinning at least three days per week for at least 30 minutes each time.
However, if you want to see results even faster (or you’re already in fairly good shape), we’d recommend five days per week for 45-60 minutes each session.
For your very first meeting, you want to test your fitness level. Do this by setting the bike to the maximum intensity and seeing how long you can go without stopping or slowing down. Alternatively, set it on a low to medium intensity level and go at a comfortable pace to see what distance you can cover while keeping your heart rate in your target zone.
How To Choose The Best Spin Bike For You
Before you buy a bike, make sure you consider these factors as you shop around and see what’s available:
- Check the flywheel: you want something heavy duty and durable. Look for a flywheel that is at least 40 lbs. This is the part that rotates when you pedal so if it’s not heavy duty, it won’t be able to spin smoothly for long periods. It also allows for more resistance and a more intense workout, so you don’t want to go too light with the flywheel.
- Look for adjustability: everyone is a different shape and proportion. This means you need to be able to adjust the seat and the handlebars to fit your body. The bike is useless if you can’t comfortably reach the handlebars or pedals. Adjustable handlebars are especially important for women who tend to have shorter torsos than men.
- Find a sturdy frame: you want something that will last you through the years, not something you’re going to have to replace every few months. Go for a solid, sturdy frame with good construction. You don’t have to get the most expensive bike on the market for this, but you also want to be careful when you are looking at the lower end of the price spectrum.
- Built in levels: as your muscle builds up and your endurance improves, you’re going to be looking for more of a challenge. Look for a spin bike that allows you to adjust to increasingly more intense levels of resistance so that you can make sure you are still challenging yourself and getting the absolute most out of your workout.
- Think about spin bike accessories: there are lots of great accessories that can help you take your spin bike workout to the next level. This can be anything from a seat cover to provide more cushion and support, socks designed for maximum comfort and breathability, mounts for your smartphone or tablet, and books for logging your workouts and tracking your progress.
These can help keep you motivated and further customize your workout. One of the most important accessories is a mat for underneath the bike. The map provides a more solid grip so that your bike doesn’t slide around or wobble during an intense workout and it keeps your floors free of scuff marks and scratches.
The Top 3 Best Spinning Bikes For Home
With all these great benefits in mind and the tips for shopping for a spinning bike, you are probably ready to go out there and get your very own spin bike for your home. But before you spend your hard-earned cash, you should check out our spin bike reviews for in-depth analysis of the different spinning bikes that are available and what each one can offer you.
While there are plenty of different great spin bikes out there, our top 3 favorites are:
Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycling Bike
This spin bike is one of the more moderately priced ones out there. It’s got a 40 lbs. Flywheel, a heavy-duty crank, and can support up to 275 lbs. The seat and handlebars are also adjustable so that you can fit it perfectly to your needs.
There is assembly required, but if you’re not very handy, you do have the option of paying a little extra to have a local professional assemble it for you.
Keiser M3i Indoor Cycle
This is one of the higher end models on the market. It’s incredibly sleek and durable. It includes the most advanced technology in the world of spinning bikes so that you get all the benefits you could ever hope for.
That includes a Bluetooth wireless computer that can be paired with your phone or with a screen to project what you want onto the larger screen. With a payment plan, the higher price can be more easily managed. And it comes with a warranty so you can be confident that you’ll have an exercise bike that lasts for years.
Exerpeutic GOLD 500 XLS Foldable Upright Bike
This is the perfect choice for those who are looking for something affordable above all else. As the most affordable spinning bike on here, it’s impressive how high quality the materials and build are. It can handle up to 400 lbs in weight, and it’s made from a heavy duty and very durable steel frame construction.
The magnetic resistance allows for eight different levels of workout intensities. And if storage is a concern for you, this bike can be easily folded and put away when it’s not in use. There’s a large LCD display that tells you your distance, time, speed, calories burned, and more. It can also measure your pulse. You are getting quite a lot out of this bike for a very low price.
Having a spin bike is an excellent way to stay in shape, even when the weather outside prevents you from working out outdoors. Whether it’s your main means of exercise or your backup for inclement weather, the spin bike is a very convenient and handy thing to have on hand. Make sure you shop around and find the one that best suits your needs and expectations!